- Reboot your PC?
- Break the monitor with your head because of the unsaved documents?
- Wait forever?
- “Esc” key on your keyboard as fast as you can?
- OR open“Windows Task Manager”?
My answer is number 5.
Microsoft define "Windows Task Manager" as:
“Task Manager provides information about programs and processes running on your computer. It also displays the most commonly used performance measures for processes.
You can use Task Manager to monitor key indicators of your computer's performance. You can see the status of the programs that are running and end programs that have stopped responding. You can also assess the activity of running processes using as many as fifteen parameters, and see graphs and data on CPU and memory usage.
In addition, if you are connected to a network, you can view network status and see how your network is functioning.
If you have more than one user connected to your computer, you can see who is connected, what they are working on, and you can send them a message”
Every time I get hang (not responding) application I immediately
- hit “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Esc” key which is the shortcut key for “Task Manager”
- go to “Process” tab and sort the “Mem Usage” column and see which has the highest memory usage.
- click to select the suspected application (culprit).
- finally click “End Process” button to kill the culprit and see who it goes away
- Bad HDD, developing bad sector.
- Virus or Malware
- Windows Driver issue, incompatible drivers is also know cause of PC hangs specially for gaming.
Lets kill unresponsive applications!